30
May
2004

Stymied by Counting

I was hoping to post that I’d completed yet another project (the Corn Bunting), but just as I was starting to assemble it, I noticed a fatal counting error.

By 4pm today, I’d finished the principal stitching on all the pieces, just assembly and trim was left. I had one small mistake in the corn-stitch pieces, but it was off to the side and halfway through the piece and I decided that I was being picky about it. So on to joining the shoulders. 30-odd stitches needed to be left open in the back to attach the hood, so I set about centering them. And I noticed that I somehow didn’t have enough stitches on the back. Small panic, but I figured that maybe I did the same thing on the front. No luck. So I looked closely at the pattern to see where I went wrong and how I might fix it. Turns out that when doing increases near the feet (on a bottom-up piece), I stopped when I had enough stitches for the small size, not the medium size I was making.

Ack, 8 measley stitches made the whole thing not work.

So I ripped it back to the increase section and I’m reworking from there. Fortunately, this part is a slightly modified stockinette stitch, not hard to redo. But I was so hoping to finish it this weekend. I’ll have to do a lot of stitching today and tomorrow to accomplish that.

And I know I should circle the counts I’m using in the pattern, but I never made a photocopy of that pattern and I don’t like to ruin the original pattern. That wil learn me.

But the day was not a complete waste, because I also finished charting the sleeve for the Shawl Collar sweater for my sister. So as soon as the Corn is finished, I’m taking that up again.

23
May
2004

Completion!

20
May
2004

Forever Finishing

18
May
2004

Sock Magic

9
May
2004

Booga Boogie

7
May
2004

My name is Amy and I have a problem

3
May
2004

Not Knots!