1
December
2004

110193613732295981

Never trust the pattern

I settled on making my elf hats in red and green (I’m making 2, as well as a secret matching project) . The red and white looked too Seussian, the tri-color looked too Italian or too Irish depending on the lighting. And in Real Life, the red/green doesn’t look that odd. At least no more odd than it’s supposed to. And it’s all for a silly costume anyway.

So I sat down last night and worked out my gauge and decided that my swatch was a little bigger than the pattern gauge. So I reduced the number of cast on stitches appropriately and worked several inches of 2×2 rib for the bottom.

Then I tried it on. It fit, but it was stretched out just about as much as it could. And I don’t have that large a head. So I ripped it out and prepared to make the size the pattern actually called for, when I noticed that the number of stitches called for isn’t divisible by 4 - the number of stitches in a 2×2 pattern repeat. So I cast on 6 more than called for (it tapers by reducing by 6) and hopefully it won’t be woefully large. I tried it on after I worked a few rows and it seems to be fine. I guess the real test is when I start doing the non-rib stripes.

The thing I don’t get is how the instructions could be so wrong as to tell you to do a 2×2 rib for a number of stitches where it won’t work out evenly. There were photos with the pattern, so presumably it was taken from the worked piece. Oh well, the pattern was free.



Leave a Reply