10
March
2005

111046399795807802

I’ve got the Clap!

UPS left my yarn yesterday….

Lorna’s Laces Lion & Lamb in Mixed Berries (potentially Clapotis for me):

Lorna’s Laces Shepherd’s Worsted in Lakeview (for SIL) (the camera washed the colors out a bit, the dark color is actually purple and the light rather greenish):

Lorna’s Laces Shepherd’s Worsted in Daffodil (for R):

However, before I jumped into the new yarn, I did a technique swatch. The knit-along group has had a bunch of discussions about why you twist the stitches right next to the dropped stitches and what happens if you don’t. I decided that before I pushed ahead, I should find out. I was also curious as to why the twists only occur on the knit side and not on the purl side.

Unfortunately, my camera was having trouble focusing on the off-white yarn on the light colored wood surface. And the battery died before I could make any changes. This photo is all you get today (and it’s rather fuzzy). I’ll take some better close-ups and do a more thorough review this weekend after I’ve blocked it. However, I did give this swatch a fair bit of pulling and tugging as abuse before I took the picture.

Key to the dropped columns:
1: All stitches next to the dropped stitch were twisted (knit-side and purl-side)
2: No stitches next to the dropped stitch were twisted
3: As specified in the pattern, only knit-side stitches next to the dropped stitch were twisted.

So what do we see? In column 1, there’s a crisp definition to the stitches right next to the ladder. In column 2, the stitches next to the ladder are looser than the rest of the stitches in the knit section. This is because they pull in a little of the slack from the ladder. This might become a little more pronounced through the life of the garment. In column 3, there’s a “rowing-out” issue. The alternation between twisted and untwisted stitches in that column produces a different tension by row. This visual effect is probably lessened in a varigated colorway and may be minimized with blocking. Perhaps the difference in the yarns contributes as well (technique swatch is 100% merino, pattern photo is wool/silk). I certainly didn’t really see it on the closeup photo with the pattern.

For my own Clapotis, I decided that I liked the look of column #1 the best, so I’ll be twisting stitches on the purl side as well.

Of course, I couldn’t resist starting a new project so I wound some balls and started on the Daffodil. By bedtime, I’d gotten to the last increase repeat. I haven’t dropped any stitches yet, but the ridges you see are where I purled the stitches to be dropped. I’m doing this without markers.

Tonight I’ll start working on the straight section and dropping stitches. I have a few concerns about whether the look of the decreases will match the look of the increases, but I’ll just have to wait and see. I can always make more changes for the second one.