11
April
2005

111323272595460202

Clap Cap Update


I typed up my pattern over the weekend and knitted a second cap to test it out. Good thing I did, because I had some random extra rows in there! I also saw my photographer friend who took some great shots of me in both caps, despite not having any natural light to work with (and using the flash just hides the beauty of the cap).

I got home late last night, so no time to download the photos or polish the pattern up and post it. You’ll probably have to wait until the weekend for that.

But in the meantime, for those of you who want to make this hat to go along with your Clapotis scarf/shawl, I’ll tell you how much yarn I used so you can hold some aside. Ideally, you’d make the hat first and then you could just use all the remaining yarn to make the scarf/shawl in whatever size that works out to. However, I know most of you are already deep into your Clapoti or have finished them.

The cap I showed in my last post is made with Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Worsted (in the Lakeview colorway). I used 55 grams which works out to about 110 yards of yarn. The second cap I made this weekend is made with Lorna’s Laces Lion & Lamb (the pattern yarn). I used 53 grams, which also works out to about 110 yards of yarn. Both were made with size 8 needles at the pattern gauge of 4.5 stitches/inch (although perhaps on the large size, you really have to pull the stitches tight to the needle to get L&L to work up that gauge on size 8s). This will make a cap that is about 20 inches in diameter.

In the meantime, I’ve updated my Clapotis project notes, collecting my technique posts into one place and describing how I made the test swatches I used to figure out the twists and mirrored twists. Take a look.