28
May
2006

Sock-o-rama

So, I told you in my last post that my Rockin’ Socks were too big. That was posted from my work trip to Los Angeles. I knit to the end of the gusset on the plane and took a moment to try them on before I flew back home. And abandoned the whole thing and packed them in my suitcase. I had no camera with me then, but now I can show them to you.

You can see it bunching up on my ankle. But even more telling is this:

I pinched a good 16 stitches out of it. My gauge is spot on, and it measures 8 inches around. And so does my foot. But socks need negative ease. So I need to make them smaller. They’re good around my ankles, so I’m leaving it the way it is there. But the heel flap could be shorter. So I plan to make that smaller and then reduce the gusset more than it is. I don’t know that I’ll go down the whole 16 stitches, as that would be 6 inches around. Maybe I’ll measure some other socks first.

But I’m not quite up to ripping it all out yet.

Instead I’ll show you some things I got in the mail. First, I snapped up Rosalie from Scout. I plan to make a Shadow Shawl with it.
Just have to figure out what solid yarn I want to use with it.

Here’s a couple of shots I took of it:

And I saved the best for last….

I got my Dye-O-Rama yarn!

This lovely purple confection was created for me by Abigail. Make sure to go take a look at her Azalea colorway too. Mine, which she didn’t name, has shots of bright blue and reds in it. She says it will stripe too, so I think that after I finished the Un-Rockin’ socks, I’ll whip it up into some Jaywalkers.

Now I just gotta figure out what I’m gonna dye for my partner. Acid dyes arrived in the mail on Friday, but not the base yarn. But I think I’ll dye up some samples tomorrow to get a feel for it and play around with striping options.