13
June
2006

Bloomin’ Yarn!

After my yarn dried out, I had this lovely mess to wind into a skein:

It wasn’t as bad as it seems. I did a good job binding the subskeins and keeping them sorted. And I marked the “top” end so I was able to lay it all out and rewind it with a minimum of fuss. First I wound it into a ball because my ball winder made for convenient storage as I sorted out small bits of yarn vomit. Then I used a PVC niddy noddy to make it into this:

And a close-up:

I mailed it off to my swap buddy yesterday morning. I’m guessing she’ll get it tomorrow. It does stripe, and I believe that I wound it without errors, but the proof’s in the knitting. For those who don’t want to wait to see what it might look like, you can see the prototype I based my calculations on by clicking here.

The only thing I didn’t count on with all my copious planning was to see how the yarn would change after it was dyed. I bought fingering weight yarn to dye, but it bloomed quite a bit and almost looked worsted weight. On the one hand, I didn’t expect this, because I haven’t seen any change with the Knit Picks yarn I used to practice with. On the other hand, I’ve made and washed plenty of gauge swatches. I just didn’t even think about it.

So, I have one other skein to dye up for something else. It’s been sitting in a ziplock of water waiting for me to get a few free moments. But I worked 13.5 hours today, so all I could do when I got home was eat and watch some TV. I knit a few rows on Mermaid, but now I’m overcompensating and my gauge is really loose. I’ll have to knit a few more rows and see how it sits with me.