24
June
2006

Once More Into The Dyepot

Finally got to dye up the yarn I wound with my Candy Striping technique. Here’s what it looked like after it dried:

And then in-skein:

Close-up:

For this one, I used Knit Picks Dye Your Own as a the base yarn. It behaved very differently from the yarn I dyed for Dye-O-Rama, which was Henry’s Attic Kona Superwash (from Diva Knitting). For one thing, the Knit Picks yarn didn’t bloom at all, so the size the strands before and after dyeing were the same. I’m much more confident that the knitting gauge that I based the striping on will work out on this one. However, it also took a lot longer to absorb the dye than the Kona did and as a result, a lot of dye crept up the damp strands and got into the white:

If you want to have an idea what the knitted yarn will look like, click here. Just remember that with the Candy Striping technique, the order of the stripes will be random.

Anyway, I’m done with dyeing for the time being. I have a bunch of big stuff coming up and as much fun as the dyeing is, I want to work on projects again. Maybe I finally finish Mermaid.