Now I show you the secret project I’ve been working on at work while I’ve been page proofing.
A co-worker had a bunch of these:
And so I did this:
There’s a lot of photos, so I’m using a cut. Click for the full story…
Update (5/2/07) Welcome everyone who is coming from the Yarn Harlot! Thanks for all your wonderful comments. Before you ask questions, read the ones I’ve already answered: Click here for Giant Glove FAQ
So, my co-worker had these chairs as dining chairs and wanted to do something wacky with them - paint the fingernails on one, etc. I suggested one needed a glove. I asked him to take measurements, but he decided to bring one in to my office. Where it has lived for more than the past year. It’s been quite the conversation piece and people sit on it when they come to talk to me.
Given the monumental size of the task, I made some quick decisions. 1) Cheap acrylic yarn. 2) Double-stranded and big needles. 3) Top down. I purchased 4 balls of Caron “3/4 Pound” in Mixed Greens.
Knowing the diameter of the fingers, I was able to start at home. In short order, I had two fingers completed, keeping the stitches live so that I could work them down the palm or cuff as necessary. And that’s how it stayed until a few weeks ago.
Faced with the prospect of having to sell my house, I decided I needed to finish up projects and clear things out. So I started up with the fingers again and finished them all. That done, I sewed the gussets of the fingers together. Then I put all the palm-facing finger stitches on a needle and knit across the palm. As I passed the thumb, I picked up the thumb stitches to join to the palm. As I reached the shaped front of the palm, I did some short-row shaping. With the palm finished, I picked up stitches around the sides and put the remaining live finger stitches on the needle and started knitting in the round.
Every few rows, I’d try it back on the hand to see where I had to start decreasing or shaping. This is what I was doing with those Options cables I kept breaking. Mostly, they just weakened from the stress. Once I actually broke one as I was trying the glove on and forgot to slip half the stitches to a 2nd cable to give me some stretch and so I pulled it too hard.
After I knit down past the knuckles, I started ribbing. And I did a combination of shaping with decreases and relying on the natural pull of the ribbing to fit the base of the chair. I also knit the ribbing flat instead of in the round so that I could take the glove on and off. At this point, I started running out of yarn, but fortunately, I was able to find more, this time the 5oz balls of Perfect Match (took 4 of those too). Good thing acrylic never changes. I sewed some small hooks to one side of the slit and use them to close it up.
To give you a sense of scale, here is a young friend modeling the glove…
And a close-up of his Red Sox Baby Surprise Sweater I made (note, he’s not my child, he belongs to my office mate):
Now, you can’t have a giant glove without doing a few silly things..
The Proud Knitter:
New! Giant Glove FAQ: In response to questions in comments